A village on the border between the provinces of Seville and Malaga whose landscape stretches from the plains of the Antequera region to the Seville countryside, separated by the mountains of the Sierra de los Caballos.
Its most notable monument is Immaculate Conception Church; also to be
found here are archaeological remains from the Roman period such as
Peñuela and La Herriza villas and the baths at La Haza de Estepa.
Though founded in the 16th century, Neolithic remains found on the outskirts of the village bear witness to the presence of primitive man in the area. Further sites, a necropolis, hot baths and other archaeological relics have been discovered pertaining to the Roman era.
In 1549, the Sierra de Yeguas was under the jurisdiction of Estepa and belonged to the estate of the Marquis of this village, as indicated by the coat of arms to be found in the parish church.
Until 1874, religious affairs in the village were controlled by the “verenullius” curacy, which made it dependent on Papal jurisdiction. In civil matters, it belonged to the province of Seville until the 17th century.