There are two unbeatable reasons to visit the Costa del Sol in December: The Malaga Christmas lights and the perfect climate. If you haven´t been here during this special winter season you should definitely come and join us!
The Malaga Christmas lights
The world is la large place and there are undoubtedly some absolutely spectacular Christmas lights to be found around the globe.
Without a doubt, in recent years the Christmas illumination of Malaga, specifically in Calle Larios and the streets of the old town, has become one of the most beautiful illuminations in the world.
Due to this great popularity, the centre of Malaga during the Christmas season receives a huge influx of people, both locals and foreigners who come to enjoy the lights.
When are the Christmas lights on this year?
This year the inauguration of the Christmas lights in Larios Street will take place on the 24th of November at 7 pm.
The date this year also coincides with Black Friday when many people take the opportunity to do their first Christmas shopping.
Parallel Christmas activities in the centre
Regarding the illumination of Calle Larios, the theme and decorations vary every two years.
For this year there is still secrecy and no further information has been released as to what surprises are in store for us this year.
A fairly new feature is also a sound and light show with popular Christmas songs that takes place every day.
The light show in Calle Larios will have three shows every day, at 7 pm, 8:30 pm and 10 pm, except on 24 and 31 December.
The lights will be switched on between 6:30 pm and midnight. On weekends and the eve of public holidays until 2 am. On the 24th and 31st they will be on until 6 am.
In addition to the main focus of attention there are many more activities in the centre and the harbour: Such as videomapping at the Cathedral or – last year for the first time – drones in the harbour creating Christmas motifs in the night sky.
At this location there are also many family activities such as the arrival of Father Christmas by boat or the Three Wise Men’s Tent.
The Christmas Market at Paseo del Parque will be open every day from 11 am to 10 pm. Except on 23 and 30 December and 5 January, when it will be open until midnight.
Bear in mind for seeing the Christmas lights in Malaga
As we mentioned before, due to the great popularity of the Christmas lights in Malaga, the centre is completely crowded.
- Arrive with plenty of time to ahead. Especially on the opening day not even a pin could fit in Calle Larios. If you want this experience to be stress-free, arrive in the centre already in the afternoon. Because later it will be practically impossible to park or to move around in the crowds.
- If you come by car, we recommend the nearest car parks to the historic centre: Car park Plaza de la Marina and Car Park Pier One (Muelle Uno). Another more relaxing option is to use public transport and take the C-1 commuter train to the city centre.
- If you can, don’t move around the centre this afternoon with a baby pushchair, you’ll get stuck. And you’ll be doing your dog a favour if you leave it at home this time.
- Go see the lights on a day other than the inauguration. If such crowds are not your thing, you have 40 more nights to enjoy the lights. Keep in mind that there will always be a lot of people but not as many as on this particular day.
- And if you want to see the sound and light show: Take advantage of the later hours when there are usually fewer people, and combine it with a dinner or tapas in the centre.
- Also keep in mind that bars and restaurants are usually at maximum capacity and there may be a wait for a table.
Christmas Garden La Concepción Málaga
If you are in Malaga in December or early January, you can’t miss this marvel.
A concept that has already been established in other cities, and that 3 years ago arrived at the wonderful historic botanical garden of Malaga.
Enjoy this great natural enclosure flooded with thousands of points of light and delight with the magic created by lights, sounds and nature.
It’s an immersive experience along a circular route of just over 2 kilometres through some of the most beautiful corners of the Botanical Garden La Concepción. Stroll without guide along a path through the garden grounds. And accompanied by sound and light scenes, immerse in a magical world in the midst of nature.
- The Christmas Garden will be open from 1 December 2023 to 7 January 2024 from 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm. Monday to Sunday with daily shows, starting at 6:30 pm.
- Tickets can be purchased through the official website
- How to get there
Our recommendations for visiting the Christmas Garden
- Keep in mind that the event takes place entirely in the open air after sunset. Therefore it is essential to wear warm clothing. The path is mostly dirt on uneven terrain. We recommend flat shoes that can get dirty.
- Along the route there are several lovely food & drink stalls where to replenish energy: With freshly roasted almonds and hot chocolate among other things.