Rincon de la Victoria Caves
This cave, known as the Cueva del Higuerón or the
Cueva del Suizo, is situated on the Cantal hill, half way
between La Cala and Rincón.
Here we will find Palaeolithic remains from the first Bronze Age. Besides its archaeological value, there is also the mythical belief that this was the sanctuary of the Mediterranean Goddess Noctiluca 2,500 years ago. Of the numerous caves inside the complex, the most interesting is the Cueva del Tesoro, with 500 metres of gallery.
Very close to this there is a series of smaller caves, the most interesting of which is the Cueva de la Victoria.
This is in the area known as the Cantal Gordo, and is currently closed to the public. It had been suffering a great deal of contamination since first discovered in 1939, and the writer Giménez Reyna tells how, in 1943, the farm workers of the region used to search for bats inside the cave, to be used as fertiliser.
The cave has some beautiful paintings on its walls, some fairly abstract in ochre colors and some bird shapes. Recently, more Palaeolithic paintings in reds and black have been found in the area.
The cave was named by the Swiss treasure hunter Antonio de la Nari, who arrived here at the beginning of the 19th century in search of the treasures buried by the Five Moorish Kings.