A village between the Axarquia region, to which it is linked by Periana Corridor, and the Malaga Mountains to the west Standing beside the old road to Granada, it comprises two different types of landscape: rocky mountains to the north and south and olive groves and cereal fields to the east and west.
The village, which appeared after the Christian conquest, is made up of narrow, slightly-sloping streets of whitewashed houses. Its most noteworthy monument is Our Lady's Church, while the Camarolos and El Jobo sierras are its most scenic locations.
Its origins are to be found in Barrancos, Peñones, Jaral, Ramos and Colmenar farms (the latter giving the village its name, an allusion to its abundant beehives or colmenas), which belonged to Hamet El Suque before being purchased by the Mayor of Comares on behalf of the Catholic Monarchs in 1488.
During the reign of Philip II, it was sold to Gabriel de Cohalla, to cover the costs of a military expedition.
In 1558, it appears in documentation as Colmenar Manor, and, in 1611, as the property of the first Viscount of Colmenar.
In 1777, it gained independent municipality status.
At the beginning of the 19th century, it was the administrative headquarters of a district comprising the Axarquia villages of Alfarnate, Alfarnatejo, Almachar, El Borge, Cutar, Periana and Riogordo, as well as Casabermeja.