Malaga Us - Costa del Sol Travel Guide
Twitter @MalagaUs
advertisment
malagacar.com

Almogía

Located at the heart of the mountains on rugged terrain populated with olives, almond trees and pines.

The village stands on the side of a hill, still retaining its original Arabic layout, with steep, narrow streets of white houses, many of which are of recent construction. Reminiscences of its past are provided by prehistoric paintings at La Venta del Fraile and the remains of Almogia and Sancti Petri Castles. According to Asin Palacios, its name is of Arabic origin and means "The Beautiful".

Roman remains lie within its municipal boundaries, including an important road which runs through the village and once linked Malaga with the interior of the peninsula, a thoroughfare which played a key role in the commercial activities of the day and must have been heavily defended, given its strategic value.

According to Diego Vazquez Otero, in Moslem times, during the muladi (Christian convert to Islam) rebellion led by Omar Ben Hafsun, Hins Xan Biter Castle (Sancti Petri) played an important part in the struggle against the Caliphate of Cordoba, forming the second defensive belt around the territories of Bobastro. This fortress was destroyed by Christian troops in 1487, as the Catholic Monarchs advanced towards Malaga.

The village's large moriscos (Moslem convert to Christianity) population meant that the Inquisition was particularly active in the area.

In 1569, discontent with the actions of their Christian governors, the moriscos of the Axarquia region organised a series of revolts in which most of the inhabitants of Almogia took part; when the rebellion was crushed that same year, the majority of these moriscos were taken prisoner or expelled from their lands; Almogia was subsequently repopulated with Old Christians from Seville and Antequera.

An interesting anecdote occurred in 1564, when the Council of Almogia loaned the castle's La Vela bell to the canon of Malaga Cathedral, D. Diego Gonzalez Quintero, who installed it in the aforementioned building.

In the 1920s, articles hand-crafted from palmetto were an important source of income, with articles being exported to a number of American cities.