Guadalmina Golf Course
Guadalmina Sur, the first 18 of Guadalmina's 45 holes, was opened way back in 1959 and is the second-olders course on the Costa del Sol. It was designed by Javier Arana and is characterised by fairways which wind between mature shade-giving trees. The fairways are wide and virtually free or rough. The raised greens are an encouragement to attack the pin.
Henry Cotton named the long 6th "Tipperary" as in "its a long, long way.." The 10th and the 11th holes are beside the sea and give players a chance to break for a quick drink at the elegant Guadalmina Hotel before tackling the fearsome 12th. Where a good straight drive is required in order to avoid the river on the left and the private garden on the right.
From the tee at the 14th yout drive must be carefully placed betweens two stands of tall pine trees, and nearer the green there is a hungry bunker waiting to catch anything that falls short. The course also calls for stamina, for the 16th and 17th are both par fives.
Guadalmina Norte is considered less difficult than Guadalmina's southern course, although it covers more terrain, is more undulating, contains more tree and also has more water hazards. The Guadalmina River bisects the course from north to south, it comes into play at the 17th, for example, and as if this weren't enough, there are lakes at the 17th, 9th, 11th and 18th holes. The couse was designed by Folco Nardi and opened in 1973.